Oxfam is a confederation of 17 Affiliates committed to creating a just world without poverty. In Nigeria Oxfam works in the areas of Economic Justice/Sustainable Livelihoods, Humanitarian Programming to save lives, Advancing Gender Justice and Good Governance, adopting a right based approach.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Leaning Officer (MEAL)
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Duration: 6 months with the possibility of extension
Grade Level: D1
Budget Responsibility: None
- Work with the MEAL Coordinator and all the programme teams on their strategic plans for the programme and ensure quality programming, delivery, and learning, based on evidence of impact at field level
- Works closely with programme teams and MEAL staff to ensure compliance with Oxfam standards on progress monitoring and programme quality
- Impact and influence of the job is mostly within the job holder’s own technical programme unit (i.e. country/region) but occasionally also with an external audience
- Streamlines programme quality and accountability mechanisms across Maiduguri response and the RRT
- Specific competencies and skills are required to achieve the job’s objectives e.g. geographical, thematic, technical
- In liaison with programme team, support the coordination of the implementation of an effective monitoring and evaluation process so that a constant assessment of programme effectiveness can be undertaken and adjustments made as necessary
- Support the MEAL coordinator in designating, developing and compiling baseline information in close association with NEHR programme team
- Support in the development and review of logical frame works developed for donor proposal and review individual partner logical frame works.
- Maintain, guide and roll out the schedule of project and review work plans, evaluations surveys and learning events.
- Design, development and compilation of baseline information in close association with Oxfam’s programme team and partners.
- Build the capacity of Oxfam partners and programme staff to carry out MEAL activities within their own programme areas
- Establish and maintain MIS for the programme as one of the core functions of Knowledge Management.
- Contribute in timely and quality reporting on WASH, EFSL and Protection projects in Newly Accessible Areas and other locations in North East Nigeria, as required.
- Support the MEAL Coordinator including the funding team in the review of reports submitted by program staff to ensure that they are in line with logical frame works and project plans.
- Assist teams in the initial assessment stage to collate information to feed into reports and programme planning, reporting.
- Work with and support field teams in setting up a simple system of data collection, analysis, and management as well as in monitoring progress of the activities in different field locations.
- Ensure that quantitative & qualitative information from various sources are collected and compiled for further use.
- Take lead in setting feedback mechanisms and to ensure beneficiaries’ opinions feed into programme planning and design.
Skills and Competence
- Experience of being accountable to beneficiaries and to donors for quality programming
- Experience of humanitarian emergency and development work in Oxfam, and an understanding of WASH, EFSL, protection, and gender needs
- Extensive proven field experience in diverse contexts
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to communicate in Arabic and English clearly both verbally and in writing and with all levels of staff; excellent coordination and influencing skills
- Systematic and organised in approach, with ability to work on own initiative
- Strong Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability, and Learning skills and qualifications; specific and proven knowledge and experience in the definition and implementation of MEAL system in emergencies and development
- Good organisational awareness; motivated to work for justice against poverty and suffering.
- Effective member of team and role model; demonstrates creativity in seeking better ways to do things and shares with team, and promotes high standards.
- Drive to achieve results; takes responsibility for own work and delegated project/processes (including some leadership).
- Strong analytical thinking approach; anticipates problems and regularly provides solutions.
- Successfully manages conflicting priorities
- High degree of flexibility to carry out other actions if the need arises.
- Gender and cultural sensitivity, commitment and an understanding of the values of Oxfam and the principles of equal opportunities.
- Degree in social sciences is preferable(sociology, development studies) or statistics/ demography
- Experience of working in a multicultural team.
- Proven knowledge of computerised systems; high degree of computer literacy and word processing and spreadsheet skills; SPSS or other statistical software
- Ability to work under pressure, ability to prioritize and commitment to meet deadlines.
- Experience in and the ability to train people.
- Potential and flexibility of attitude to learn.
- Ability to show perseverance, persistence and patience
- Prepared to travel, at times to risky areas and at short notice.
- Good understanding of principles of effective planning; Good time management.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their application letter and Curriculum Vitae as one attachment to: [email protected] with the position title as the subject of the email.
- Applications not sent in the required format may not be considered.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be invited for assessment and interview.
Application Deadline 6th October, 2017.